Uncategorized

Art of one and the same family in Vienna over the last 200 years

In October, coordinator Aglaë Hagg-Thun organised a combined excursion about Leopold Kupelwieser’s and Prof. Hans Kupelwieser’s artworks. Ambassador (ret.) Walter Hagg gave a tour of Leopold Kupelwieser’s frescoes and ceiling paintings (1848/1850) in the Foreign Ministry’s Alois-Mock-Saal (formerly “Marmorsaal”).

Guided tour in the Marmorsaal with the frescoes of Leopold Kupelwieser

Warm hearted reception in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with sweets for the children

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At Prof. Hans Kupelwieser’s studio in the Wiener Prater, a specially designed game had been prepared for the children. Prof. Kupelwieser guided parents and adults through his lofts and ateliers. The “Lilliput-Bahn” took them to the “Meierei” and its playgrounds for a late lunch.

Prof. Hans Kupelwieser (r.) explains the pavillons for artists founded at the World Exhibition of 1873

Drive in the Liliput-Bahn through the Grüne Prater under pouring rain

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further information click here: http://www.kupelwieser.at)

The newly opened Weltmuseum in the Hofburg’s former corps de logis

In October 2014, Welcome to Austria was among the last visitors to the Weltmuseum before it was closed for restauration. Only five days after the reopening, Science Coordinator Dr. Elisabeth Wolff and a Group of WA members had the great opportunity to be introduced to the new concept of the redesigned Museum by Director Steven Engelsman who then guided them through the most attractive new galleries.

Aztec emperor Montezuma’s headdress

Patio of the Hofburg’s corps de logis

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further Information click here: http://www.weltmuseumwien.at )

Two days, four Castles and a glass of Uhudler

Statue at Burg Lockenhaus

On the second weekend of June, coordinator Anne Thun-Hohenstein took members of Welcome to Austria on a tour to Burgenland, Austria’s eaternmost region.

On day one, members enjoyed a guided tour at Burg Lockenhaus (1242) and the atmosphere of a medieval “knights’ festival”. A visit of Rudolf Kedl’s scultpure garden at Markt Neuhodis propelled them into the contemporary.

 

Along the Hungarian border with its lovely vineyards we went south to discover “Uhudler”, a local wine specialty. We tasted it in the unique Kellerviertel of Heiligenbrunn where the hotel owner gave his personal comments on the regional architecture and habits.

Rudolf Kedl

Kedl’s sculpture garden

A glass of Uhudler

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On Sunday morning, the group went to the medieval town of Güssing with its majestic castle (1157) of the Hungarian Batthyány family. Heading North again, they passed by Schloss Rotenturm.

Batthyány Castle

Schloss Rotenturm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lunch at a Restaurant on the border of a hidden lake was followed by the grand finale, a guided tour in Burg Schlaining (1271), also known as Friedensburg (“peace castle”) for its being the location of the Austrian Study Centre for Peace and Conflict Resolution.

Lunch at the fish restaurant

Burg Schlaining aka Friedensburg

First Vice president Angelika Saupe-Berchtold and Coordinator Anne Thun-Hohenstein with members of WA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further information click here: http://www.ritterburg.at, http://www.skulpturen-park.athttp://www.batthyany.at/burg_guessing.o.html , http://www.friedensburg.at, http://www.aspr.peacecastle.eu)

WA members after their visit of the Lehár-Schlössl

In May, Anne Thun-Hohenstein and WA members were received at the Lehár-Schikaneder-Schlössl for a memorable tour given by its owner, Mrs. Kreuzer. The famous composer of the silver age of operettas, Franz Léhar (e.g. “The Merry Widow”), lived and worked for many years in this charming jewel of architecture. The visit was followed by a stroll in the romantic Biedermeier garden.

Mrs. Kreuzer and member Dagny Herheim listening to Cloyd Beasley’s playing

Goddess Fortuna watches over the stairway hall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A hidden jewel of Biedermeier architecture…

… lies on the outskirts of Vienna. Members enjoyed a guided tour of the Geymüllerschlössel, co-organised by Aglaë Hagg (2nd Vice President) and Alexander Gonzalez-Hernandez (member Jeunesse WA), followed by a picnic in the park.

 

Picnic against the backdrop of a lovely 700m2 park

 

 

Members and their families discovering the wonderful interiors

Younger members enjoyed the tour too

The Geymüllerschlössel hosts a collection of antique furniture and clocks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further information click here: http://www.mak.at/geymuellerschloessel)

 

An oeuvre at odds with fin-de-siècle society

Club members were introduced to the radical oeuvre of Egon Schiele (1890-1918) which is currently being exhibited at the Albertina.

Schiele’s works – juxtapposed to photographs of his time – gave us a glimpse of the epochal schism between the modernist and the traditional. With only a few lines he produced drawings of precision and astounding beauty,

tells coordinator Martha Hanreich.

Exhibition poster at the Albertina

 

 

WA members and Martha Hanreich were offered an insightful tour

One of 160 paintings and drawings that are currently exposed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further information click here: http://albertina.at/schiele)

May 13th, 2017 marks the 300 anniversary of Maria Theresa’s birth. Coordinator Martha Hanreich invited members to join a guided visit of the exhibition “Maria Theresa. The Habsburg‘s most powerful woman”. Maria Theresa was the eldest daughter of Emperor Karl VI and became the first and only woman to rule in the entire history of the archduchy of Austria. She was crowned Queen of Bohemia and of Hungary and was married to the Holy Roman Emperor Franz Stephan von Lothringen. Maria Theresa initiated numerous reforms in public administration. The armed forces, the economy, and the education system were all modernized during her reign and traces of her rule can be found all over Vienna.

 

The State Hall and Karl VI as a backdrop to the exhibition

Members of WA and coordinator Martha Hanreich were offered a very insightful guided tour

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For more information click here: https://www.onb.ac.at/en/museums/state-hall/current-exhibition/maria-theresa-the-habsburgs-most-powerful-woman/)

Dr Elisabeth Wolff organised a visit to this unique repository of the Arnold Schoenberg archival legacy, which belongs to the UNESCO Memory of the World. It offers insight into Arnold Schönberg´s significance as composer, painter, teacher and theoretician. In music history, his name is associated with the epoch-making innovation of “Zwölftonmusik”. The exhibition of photographs recalls various periods of Schönberg´s life from his birth in Vienna in 1874, to his death in 1951 in Los Angeles which has been moved to Vienna in 1998.

Dr Wolff expressed WA’s gratitude to the director of the ASC, Mag Angelika Möser, who guided its members through this internationally renowned Archive.

Antique advertisement conserved in the archives of the ASC

Joyce Tessa Freissmuth surrounded by members

WA members studying documents in the ASC

Modern technical equipment admired by WA members

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(For further information click here: http://www.schoenberg.at)

This week Anne Thun-Hohenstein

took WA members to the Jewish Museum. General Director, Dr. Danielle Spera, received the group including spouses in the museum and spoke about her interesting life and splendid career.

DirektorinJüdischesMuseum

JüdischeStraßenin Wien

 

 

 

BesuchJüdischesMuseumWien

 

A very precious visit to the Winterpalais (Prinz Eugene of Savoy)…

…. was just offered by Martha Hanreich:  a guided visit through the exhibition “Heavenly! The Baroque Sculptor Johann Georg Pinsel”.

IMG_1228IMG_1209

 

 

 

 

Little is known about his life, origins and training, says our enthousiastic coordinator, Martha.  His date and place of birth are buried in obscurity. He became a central figure in Lemberg´s Baroque sculpture, which between 1740 and 1790 reached an extremely high artistic level and amazing homogeneity in terms of style. Worked with the architect Bernard Meretyn, he decorated primarily churches between Lviv and Buchach with his imposing sculptures in wood and stone. The powerful expressivity of his figures not only derives from their facial expressions and gestures, but also and above all from the opulence of their garments. The exhibition shows twenty exhibits by Pinsel and his studio as well  as works from Austrian painters of the Late Baroque (Franz Anton Maulbertsch and Paul Troger).

IMG_1241IMG_1219

Contact Details

Welcome to Austria

Hofburg, Stallburg
Reitschulgasse 2/2.OG
A-1010 Vienna
Tel : +43-1- 535 88 36
Fax: +43-1- 535 88 37
e-mail: office@welcome-to-austria.org
web   : www.welcome-to-austria.org